KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition has returned to Burlington, KS, offering a total of $11,200 in prizes. Smoke on the River BBQ Club will host the 2023 Master Competition Friday, September 1st and Saturday, September 2nd, at Kelley Park in Burlington, KS 66839. Also, a Steak Competition and Kids-Q Competition are planned on September 1st.
MASTER COMPETITION (Saturday):
* Four meats will be judged in this contest: Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket.
* KCBS 2023 Official Master Rules and Regulations & Judging Procedures will be used.
* Teams must compete in all four meat categories to qualify for Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion or Third Place Overall.
BACKYARD COMPETITION - CANCELLED
STEAK CHALLENGE (Friday night):
* Ribeye Steak will be the cut judged in the Smoke on the River Steak Challenge.
* All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations will apply with exceptions noted in the Steak Rules found further down on this page.
KIDS-Q COMPETITION (Friday night):
* Kids-Q will consist of two divisions.
* High School division will prepare a cut of meat (not ground, such as steak, pork chop, chicken breast, etc.)
* 8th Graders and Younger division will prepare hamburger or ground meat alternative (purchased ground or ground on site).
* Space will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
* Parking of contestants will begin at 8 a.m. Friday, September 1st.
* Camping spots vary in size: 30 amp service is available to 20 spots; 50 amp service is available to 28 spots. Other desirable spots are available without electricity and would require a generator provided by the contestant.
* Free ice and a water source will be available.
* A designated area will be provided for trash and ash disposal.
* All meat will be inspected upon arrival at the park.
* No preparation may begin prior to meat inspection.
* Teams will be given an approved KCBS numbered container for each meat by our KCBS reps at the cook's meeting at 3:30 p.m. Friday, September 1st, at Kelley Hall.
* Entries should be brought to the Judging Tent at the following turn-in times on Saturday, September 2nd: Chicken at 12:00 p.m.; Ribs at 12:30 p.m.; Pork at 1:00 p.m.; and Brisket at 1:30 p.m.
* A total of $11,200 will be paid out in prize money for all Smoke on the River BBQ competitions.
* Top cash prizes for the Master Competition will be: Grand Champion ($1,000); Reserve Grand Champion ($750) and Third Place Overall ($500) for best execution of all four meats. Master competition will pay down to seventh place; ribbons will be awarded from 1st to 10th place in all four categories.
* Top cash prizes for the Steak Challenge will be: 1st place ($300); 2nd place ($250); 3rd place ($200). The Steak Challenge will pay down to 10th place; ribbons will be awarded from 1st to 10th place.
* Top cash prizes for the Kids-Q Competition will be: 1st place ($150); 2nd place ($75); 3rd place ($50) in each division (High School/8th Graders and Younger). The Kids-Q competition will pay down to 10th place; ribbons will be awarded from 1st to 10th place in each division,
Contact Bobby Skipper at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (620) 364-8780 or cell (334) 301-5479.